TechSpot

Half-Life mod Black Mesa approved for sale on Steam

By Russ Boswell
Nov 21, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Valve, the original creators of Half Life, are finally recognizing a monumental project by giving the team behind popular mod Black Mesa to sell the title on their Steam platform. If you haven't heard about Black Mesa: Source, then you're definitely...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,557   +862

Valve is just trying to tide you over until half life 3 in 5 years. Don't buy into it. its a trap!

3. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 962   +205

Does Black Mesa: Source cover the entire game?

4. Mavrickx888

Mavrickx888 TS Enthusiast Posts: 64   +9

I've only been able to play a few hours of it, but it is extremely well done and is definitely worth buying on Steam so that the developers can get a little kick-back.

5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

I'll buy it just to support modding in general.

6. Panda218

Panda218 TS Maniac Posts: 288   +105

It only covers all the content in the original Half life. I highly recommend downloading it!

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,555   +2,898

I looked for it on Steam, must not have looked in the right place. I didn't see it in the search list or under Valve's complete bundle.

8. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,457   +606

Wrong. There is a reason they called it just 'Black Mesa'. It re-creates all the events up until you teleport to Xen. Then the game ends. In Half-Life, there is still plenty of game left.
    As far as the actual mod itself, its very well done and does not feel and play like a mod, more so like an actual licensed Valve recreation....its that good.

9. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,919   +685

It's still under greenlight, I've just signed up to get notifications from it's greenlight page as a release date has not been announced yet :(

Edit: here's the link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94128543

cliffordcooley likes this.
  10. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,904   +529

it will be the entire game sometime in the future. but they released a huge part of it early just because of popular demand. it's on Valve time right now. it will be released 100% when it's ready.

11. I found the Zen levels impossible to complete without a gravity hack. Most games these days are a lot simpler to complete, maybe not to their credit.

12. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 830   +54

Half Life was great, the Xen levels weren't the best but I had the expansions too. Opposing Force was good. Loved those games. Gravity hack? lame!!!!! ;)