"Halo 3" Easter egg unearthed after nearly seven years

Shawn Knight

Staff member

halo easter bungie easter egg halo 3

Bungie is well-known for including obscure Easter eggs within its games. The Halo franchise is no different as several have been found over the years. But at least one known egg has remained hidden for nearly seven years - until now.

As outlined in a post over at Team Beyond, the Easter egg in question can only be activated on one day each year - December 25. On that day, you'll want to press and hold down both thumbsticks during the loading screen. This will zoom out to give a wider view of the spinning Halo ring and if you slow down the animation, you'll see the Easter egg in the form of text that reads, "Happy Birthday, Lauren!"

The existence of the egg has been public knowledge for quite some time. It was first acknowledged during a Q&A session (Bungie Mail Sack) a few years ago. When asked if there were any Easter eggs that they were surprised at how long it took to find, senior engineer Jon Cable said there's one in Halo 3 that he didn't think anyone had found.

Cable said he stumbled across it while looking at code a while back and that it only happens on a specific day.

During another Q&A segment, former Bungie developer Adrian Perez (the person responsible for the egg) said one of his proudest moments during his time with Bungie was showing his wife the Easter egg he put in the Halo 3 loading screen for her. He also added that it's one that nobody has found yet.

Permalink to story.

Pretty cool! And definitely better than Disney's Easter Eggs...
(http://celebs.answers.com/movies/10-scandalous-hidden-moments-in-your-favorite-disney-movies)

"He also added that it's one that nobody has found yet." Should read Had found, because clearly it has been discovered. As far as Easter Eggs in games go, very uninteresting. Not even sure why this is news worthy to be honest.

"He also added that it's one that nobody has found yet." Should read Had found, because clearly it has been discovered. As far as Easter Eggs in games go, very uninteresting. Not even sure why this is news worthy to be honest.

Next we will hear how EA put a easter egg in there toilets that only just got found...

I think its cool. easter eggs are more often than not things of special significance to one or few people. When you consider that some dude put a hidden message to his wife in a game to millions and millions of people, and no one but them (bungie) knew about it for years, its pretty impressive and kind of charming.
Too many times people expect easter eggs to be things that matter to them, like hidden levels or cheats or something, when they usually are exact opposite.

As outlined in a post over at Team Beyond, the Easter egg in question can only be activated on one day each year - December 25.
you'll see the Easter egg in the form of text that reads, "Happy Birthday, Lauren!"
former Bungie developer Adrian Perez said one of his proudest moments during his time with Bungie was showing his wife the Easter egg he put in the Halo 3 loading screen for her.
I'm guessing his wife's name is Lauren and her birthday is Dec 25.
I'm trying to picture whether that was a recent statement or one during the time he showed his wife.

As outlined in a post over at Team Beyond, the Easter egg in question can only be activated on one day each year - December 25.
you'll see the Easter egg in the form of text that reads, "Happy Birthday, Lauren!"
former Bungie developer Adrian Perez said one of his proudest moments during his time with Bungie was showing his wife the Easter egg he put in the Halo 3 loading screen for her.
I'm guessing his wife's name is Lauren and her birthday is Dec 25.
I'm trying to picture whether that was a recent statement or one during the time he showed his wife.
I'm guessing you're right. I'm also guessing that if he got her birthday wrong she is now he's ex.

Pretty cool! And definitely better than Disney's Easter Eggs...
(http://celebs.answers.com/movies/10-scandalous-hidden-moments-in-your-favorite-disney-movies)
A few of those (very few) I can see being intentional but most are just people seeing what they want to see which says more about their mindset than that of Disney.

Back