Halo 5 will reportedly feature over 15 free DLC maps, free online co-op

Scorpus

Staff member

halo dlc microsoft 343 industries gaming console xbox one halo 5 guardians

In the lead up to the Electronic Entertainment Expo next week, 343 Industries is teasing us all with some new information about Halo 5: Guardians, thanks to an extensive cover feature in the latest issue of Game Informer.

While a lot of the details in the cover feature relate to the game's single-player campaign, there were some interesting tidbits revealed about multiplayer content. The game will apparently launch with over 20 maps, and then by July 2016, 343 Industries will add in over 15 extra maps as free downloadable content.

It's very unusual these days for a publisher to release extra maps for a multiplayer game for free, with companies such as Activision (Call of Duty) and EA (Battlefield) loving to suck more money out of gamers via season passes and map packs, which can often cost as much as the game itself. Free maps to go with Halo 5 will add a lot of value to those who continue to play the game beyond its launch.

Halo 5 will also support online co-op for the campaign, and apparently that won't require an Xbox Live Gold subscription, which is typically required for multiplayer features on the Xbox One. However, if you do want to dive into the standard versus multiplayer modes, you will still need Xbox Live Gold for your account.

More details surrounding Halo 5, its campaign, and a "completely new, epic multiplayer experience" will be unveiled during E3 next week. The game itself is slated for launch on October 27th, 2015.

Permalink to story.

Fun fact: the free DLC has already been made, it was meant to be included in the game but was removed and put as free DLC to try win the internets.

Fun fact: the free DLC has already been made, it was meant to be included in the game but was removed and put as free DLC to try win the internets.

You're making it sound like that's a bad thing. It's good that MS is giving it away for free, no? I'm not sure why it matters what the original intent was.

Well, I keep hearing good things. Let's hope it continues and it might be a first day buy for me...

Bungie is no longer making Halo. They made Destiny and have stepped away from the halo universe.
Now it is 343 and Microsoft making Halo.

Free online co-op has been confirmed false. Xbox Live Gold is required.

Free online co-op has been confirmed false. Xbox Live Gold is required.

It's been confirmed on various places, which goes to show greed is all they know. Lets demand people have an online subscription to a specific service, just so you can play online co-op with friends! I'll stick to PC games in the meantime which have free online co-op, sure both are requiring internet but the former requires a secondary service.

Sorry guys but this is a laughable joke, if you have to come out and say "free online co-op" then.. you're clearly doing things wrong. It was sadly clarified to be false, so don't get your hopes up people! Unless you can rant loud enough, to make them change their minds on things. :p

"Fun fact: the free DLC has already been made, it was meant to be included in the game but was removed and put as free DLC to try win the internets."

Fun fact: Welcome to the world of DLC. Keep on paying for it too. Keep telling them you're willing to pay over $100 for 1 video game.

At least Halo 4 already HAS had free DLC. It was Spartan Ops. It even had cinematics that came with it each mission every week to that were actually relevant to the story. Yes halo 4 matchmaking sucked (still not as bad as reach) and the campaign was loads better than Reach.

Free online coop? I still sorta doubt that, but after Halo 4 it would not surprise me and would be MUCH APPRECIATED 343 AND MICROSOFT K THANKS

Patiently chewing my fingers for Halo 5. the map features will be great. any ideas if the PC version will come out with the console ones?

Back