Hands-On with Google Daydream and Daydream View

Scorpus

Staff member

Virtual reality powered by smartphones is an awesome concept. While tethered VR systems like the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift require expensive headsets and even more expensive gaming PCs, mobile VR requires just a cheap addition to something most people already have: a smartphone.

We’ve already seen several solutions for mobile VR, most notably Samsung’s Gear VR, which only works with high-end Samsung devices; and Google Cardboard, which is a cheap and limited option available to anyone. But Google is taking things to the next level with Daydream: a new virtual reality ecosystem for Android and the most compelling case for accessible VR I’ve seen to date.

I’ve spent the last few days with Daydream and Google’s corresponding headset, the Daydream View, to check out the ecosystem ahead of its launch. In short, it’s very impressive, and those with a supported smartphone should strongly consider purchasing the $79 Daydream View headset when they go on sale today.

Read the complete article.

"Due to specific software and hardware requirements for Daydream, the Google Pixel and Pixel XL are the only phones that currently support the platform"

euhh, zte axon 7?

don't expect to see budget products that are "Daydream-Ready"

I will expect many new budget devices stating "Daydream-Ready", which will be the same like "Windows 2000 Ready" we saw once upon a time, only meaning it can be run, but not necessarily usable due to lag.

What a joke this type of thing is. The headset is great for those who have a Pixel phone but if you don't then you will be spending the same as if you bought a Vive. I guess it's a decent VR choice if you don't have an appropriate pc but then you have the issue where the software is not as good. Either stick to the outside world or spend the money on a proper VR solution like Vive, Occulus, or PSVR.

Watching someone hold the controller and strap the gadget on their heads looks like some disabled person... sorry no offense... just looks like that.

Yeah... just look around you. It's the best VR experience you can have. You can even smell and feel the temperature and other senses around you!

Come on..people....Wake up!

Back