Hands-on with Sling TV: A solid live TV experience for cord-cutters that includes sports

By Julio Franco
Jan 26, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. As the recipient of no less than a dozen awards, Sling TV was without a doubt one of the hottest products to emerge at this year's Consumer Electronics Show. For the uninitiated, Sling TV is a subsidiary of Dish Network that'll...

Read more
  2. Does anyone have any isps to recommend? I'd like these like things, but since they use the internet, bandwith is usually and issue with some companies
  3. Thanks for the review. This looks very interesting.
  4. I suspect the cable cartel's more recent insistence on data caps had this in mind as well...gets popular, they still make money charging you for "overages" on an already huge cash cow.
  5. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Addict Posts: 292   +68

That was the first thing that came to my mind, too. Let's hope for a more efficient streaming protocol or change in the laws to fix that.
  6. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,526   +685

Looks very promising, especially if it forces the cable companies to fall in line. Having the availability of a couple of local channels in each market would also help, but hey .... one step at a time!
  7. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Maniac Posts: 939   +244

Being a cord-cutter myself, I cannot say that I have any interest in this. It sounds like when the cable industry started. Bundle a bunch of channels together in some effort to grab the interest of the public, charge them $20 and see what the response is. I bet over time they raise the price without changing anything and expect people to follow on like sheep.

However, this package has nothing I am interested in. If it were $0.99 per station, I had my choice of stations, and there were no minimum, I might subscribe to it, but with OTA, Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu, I'm set. I'm a hockey fan, and if I wanted sports, I would go with the NHLs streaming package for $99 for the season, which would be a far better deal for me.

Right now, this offer sounds extraordinarily hollow.
    richalone442 likes this.
  8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Does the iOS app support AirPlaying to AppleTV?