Hangs at mup.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobgreen5s

When I load up windows xp pro it finishes the blue bar loading screen and then goes into a blank screen. I loaded up safe mode and noticed that it was stuck at the driver mup.sys . The last thing I did with this computer before this problem was unplug the power cable from the PSU because it was taking a long time to shut down (stupid). And no I don't have the windows recovery console.

Any help would be appreciated.

Put in your Windows XP CD so that you can boot into the recovery console and replace the corrupted file

mup.sys is not the fault usually. The poor thing is always the last file Windows shows on screen when booting into safe mode and often gets the blame. Your problem is somewhere else.

Test your hard drive and RAM. There was a reason why it took Windows so long to shut down and bad hardware is very likely.

This has happened to me before.. Like said previously, mup.sys is not the culprit. That is just the last file loaded that you see.. It is another file that is the prob. You NEED the windows installation cd and boot from that. If you have home, then any xp home cd will do it, if you have pro, any windows PRO cd will work.. If you dont have one, borrow one from a friend (hopefully). Then boot from the windows cd. When you get to the first screen, select R for repair. It will open a dos window type /? and it will give you a complete list of functions you can perform. You need to type in this command. chkdsk /r The R indicates that any bad files on your OS will be fixed by the installation cd. It might take hours. For me it would get up to like 75% on step 5 then jump back to 50%. It just takes TIME to fix the errors.. After that I could boot into safe mode ok.

Hope this helps.. but only if you have a windows cd. And make sure your bios is set to boot from CD before booting from Hard Drive.

Good Luck

baddmr2 said:
This has happened to me before.. Like said previously, mup.sys is not the culprit. That is just the last file loaded that you see.. It is another file that is the prob. You NEED the windows installation cd and boot from that. If you have home, then any xp home cd will do it, if you have pro, any windows PRO cd will work.. If you dont have one, borrow one from a friend (hopefully). Then boot from the windows cd. When you get to the first screen, select R for repair. It will open a dos window type /? and it will give you a complete list of functions you can perform. You need to type in this command. chkdsk /r The R indicates that any bad files on your OS will be fixed by the installation cd. It might take hours. For me it would get up to like 75% on step 5 then jump back to 50%. It just takes TIME to fix the errors.. After that I could boot into safe mode ok.

Hope this helps.. but only if you have a windows cd. And make sure your bios is set to boot from CD before booting from Hard Drive.

Good Luck

I'm working on acquiring a xp pro cd. This post is informative and a big help, thank you.

bobgreen5s said:
that would be nice

LOL Note to self do not answer tech questions before your first make that third cup of coffee.

Ok found this http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/97354.html

And this from another forum

After some work I have at last found a solution - but I still don't really know what the exact cause of the problem is.

Problem 1 :: Windows XP hangs when loading the mup.sys driver - or! perhaps when loading the ACPI driver which comes after mup.sys. (revealed by a log)

Problem 2 :: The windows XP install disc hangs when displaying "Setup is starting windows XP" which prevents access of the Repair Console and the install repair.

After trying removing every singel unneccesary item from the computer and disabling everything in the bios - the problem remained. The install disc even hung when no HD was present.

I tried updating the BIOS without effect.

At last I used F5 to acccess the hardware settings when loading the XP install disc. Choosing another HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) - "Standard PC" instead of the default "ACPI enabled [...]" made the install disc load correctly!!

Boosted by my success I then tried, against all advice, to use PIC instead of APIC - and the install disc loaded correctly again!!

Since I find ACPI (Power managment) is more useful than APIC (Advanced programmable interrupt controller) I choose that solution.

The I just ran 'install XP'/'repair a previous install', and all my problems was solved!

Now I only wonder why the problem didn't arise the first time I installed XP? And who is to blame for the problems? Asus? Windows

I had this problem as well it turned out not to be the mup.sys file that was the problem... it actually loaded it was the last file in the series... what actually fixed my problem was a registry entry that tells xp to look for another keyboard... I changed the 1 to a 0 and viola... booted right up...
http://www.computing.net/cgi-bin/AT-search.cgi?mode=concept&search=How+I+solved+Mup.sys+problem+XP+Pro&forum=WindowsXP&sp=sp&x=21&y=11
Many others

Hi bob.. Glad to lend some assistance.. I had this exact thing happen to me. I was on the phone with Microsoft for a while and what I described before was what the tech told me to do. I had alot of other problems going on at the time too, but that got me to at least boot back into windows. IF, Big IF, you get an install cd, when you get to the "recover" screen, after you do the scan, try also a few other commands. I hope im right, as its been awhile since ive done it, but i think its, "fixmbr" .....grr..mind is blank.. If you get into the recovery, type help ? and post the list, then ill tell you which ones to do also.

Good Luck

tyler811 said:
LOL Note to self do not answer tech questions before your first make that third cup of coffee.

Ok found this http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/97354.html

And this from another forum

http://www.computing.net/cgi-bin/AT-search.cgi?mode=concept&search=How+I+solved+Mup.sys+problem+XP+Pro&forum=WindowsXP&sp=sp&x=21&y=11
Many others

I just hope you dont run into the problem listed above #2 THAT could be a problem. It has hung before like this for me and I didnt know what to do.. I dont exactly remember how I fixed it, but I did. Maybe after several attempts of booting into the recovery console. ALSO, what kind of Hard drive do you have? Is is a normal one that connects with an IDE cable, (the flat 40/80 pin cable) or do you have a SATA hard drive that uses the small little like 4-5 pin cable to connect it to the motherboard. Reason Im asking is that I have a SATA hard drive and I MUST install a "sata raid driver" from floppy. During the loading of the recovery console, it will ask you to press F6 to install a 3rd party scsi or raid driver, I have to do this or I cannot get into the recovery console as the recovery cd wont recognize my hard drive.

well.. Let me know how it goes

bobgreen5s said:
I took the cowards way out and just reinstalled windows :( everything is working fine so far

Thats not the cowards way out. Sometimes its the smarter way to do it. Fresh install get rid of all the old crap in there

Solved

Originally I had a black screen using XP Pro.
I booted in safe mode and got the mup.sys hang.

After searching the internet I found this post thread.

I used a disk scan / recovery utility but no sectors were found bad. - Not my solution.

I then removed 1 stick of RAM and restarted in safe mode.
I got to the XP desktop in safe mode so I shut the computer off.
Then I put the memory stick back in and booted again in safe mode.
I again was able to access the desktop so I rebooted as normal and I got back to the standard desktop. Problem solved. Thank you for the suggested solutions above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back