Happy Birthday: Myst turns 20. Go turn a crank to celebrate

By Julio Franco
Sep 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Twenty years ago, if you were getting a computer, you were getting one with a newfangled CD-ROM drive. And you were getting a game to justify it. That game was probably Myst. And if that wasn't the case for you,...

Read more
  2. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +193

I think what I remember most from the game is that transitional sound. You know what I'm talking about. Also, anyone ever read the Myst books?
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

I liked Myst, and I played the sequel, Riven (I think) also. Cool idea for a game and for the time it had awesome graphics. I probably still have the discs in some binder somewhere.
  4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

I think you're dead on with that review Stephen. Especially with your analysis, if Myst was a good game, "Hard to say." To each their own right? This was definitely a unique and memorable game. And if I recall, it held sales records for several years in the 1990's so it's at least well known. It's one of those games which I spent many hours on and was never able to complete.
  5. I looked at Myst at the time but wasn't that crazy about it. My first cool CD-ROM game was The 7th Guest another interesting puzzle game.
  6. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 736   +259

I think there were books or audio tapes that were in the Myst universe. I remember how interesting the concept was...