Happy Birthday! Sony's PlayStation turns 20 today

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It was exactly 20 years ago today that Sony dove head-first into the gaming industry with its PlayStation console.

Purists will be quick to point out that the PlayStation technically debuted on December 3, 1994 in Japan; it wasn’t until September 9, 1995, that the console made its way across the Pacific for a North American launch.

If you recall, Sony acknowledged the “true” 20th anniversary late last year with a limited edition, retro-themed PlayStation 4. Sony only produced 12,300 units globally, all of which were spoken for in the blink of an eye. Those who missed the boat have had to resort to third-party platforms like eBay where the throwback console regularly fetches $1,000+.

Sony’s PlayStation has a storied history that’s been well-documented over the years. The result of a failed partnership between Sony and Nintendo, the PlayStation found early success in Japan where more than two million units were sold in the first six months. The system found immediate success in the US as well, arriving just at the end of the Super Nintendo’s extended life cycle and a year before the N64 dropped.

To celebrate its US release, Sony will soon be inviting fans to vote on what they believe is the greatest PlayStation game of all-time. The company has also published a 20th Anniversary SHAREfactory theme that’s available free of charge on the PlayStation Store for users in North America.

We’re just as curious as Sony on the matter. What do you believe is the best PlayStation game ever? For me, it’d have to be the original Twisted Metal. Chime in with your favorite in the comments section below!

Permalink to story.

PlayStation 1 was the best gaming console for a decade with games woth incredible enjoyable and long gameplay unlike most of today's title where they focus on graphics and leave the storyline short. The most memorable games for me on PS are:
Digimon World - super long game play! Very complex level of transformations.
Crash Team Racing - long gameplay and very enjoyable even in split screen multiplayer.
Test Drive Off-Road 3 - Nice gameplay and detailed upgrade parts with real noticible effect in-game.
Crash Bandicoot 2, 3, Bash - Very nice gameplay and long hard levels.
Spyro - Long gameplay and colourful and challenging environment.
Xena - Very hard gameplay, spooky setting and interesting.
Toy Story - Long gameplay, challenging and huge interesting setting.
Bugs Bunny Lost in Time - Very long gameplay, many hidden secrets, mysterious.

All in all these games where incredible and they made my childhood more fun! I miss these games...

Tough call. PS1 had so many home runs in its library it's difficult to know where to begin.

Off the top of my head:

Dino Crisis
Legend of Dragoon
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 2
Resident Evil
Metal Gear Solid
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro the Dragon
Grim Fandango
Odd World

So many great memories from the PS1. I still have mine in perfect working order. I believe I got mine in '96. When Resident Evil released. I remember being so terrified seeing that first zombie (I was 10 at the time) and thus began my love for not only the survival horror genre of games but the huge library of games that was released over the next 5 years.

Back