Hard Disk Bad Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

tany

Hi,
I suffered few times from power failure. Everytime the computer restarted, it ran chkdsk and i was able to conitinue working. Since the last time i had power failure, it ran chkdsk, but it last almost forever, eventaully i was able to work. Ever since then, everytime i start my computer, it runs a long and tedious chkdsk. I went to the Event log and so the Error log :
'The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block'.Does it mean that my HD will die soon ? Is there any way to fix the bad block ? I'm having samsung 80G HD. I wasnt able to find any utility from the manufacture.
Please advise.
Tany

Run the disk checking utility (chkdsk) and tell it to scan for bad sectors. This will mark the sector bad so that Windows will avoid it in the future. After running the check, see which file the bad sector was in - the file is corrupt and you should replace it.

The Samsung hard disk utilities are called shdiag and hutil.

right click my computer and click on manage then disk management under storage...
from what i know is..as soon as your HD has a bad sector or missing allocations for files.. its gonna die, you are better off replacing it....
HD's are going for cheap right now ! think of purchasing a new one:)

I followed Nodsu instructions and got rid of the nasty autochk when windows restarts, yet, i will purchase a new one soon.
Thanks for the advice
Tany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back