Hard disk cannot be read, what's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strider1

so i made a topic earlier here https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic132570.html how my hd wasnt working, got bod....so i connected it to my computer using an 2.5 to 3.5 ide adapter and have been able to transfer some of the data so far. anyhow, i bought a new eide blue scorpio 320 gb for my dell inspiron 9300 but i have been having problems and i dont know whats up. I had some troubles installing xp on it...
i was able to format and copy all the windows files and let it reboot....i think it just hung there. maybe i wasn't patient enough? so i connected it to my desktop and installed it that way. i was able to get it up on running on there so i put it back into the laptop but it wont boot up! it just says "hard disk cannot be read what could be the problem"

why is that? any ideas? Always something weird is that I booted up into BIOS and saw that the HD primary was read to be like 137GB big or something odd like that. the drive is a 320GB drive...whats up with that?

so what could be the problem, is the mobo bad? specifically where it connects to the HD.

Thanks!

Could the message be "STOP:0X0000007B-INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

you might have to verify the Error in the Event Viewer:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
    • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
    • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
    • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
    • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock at message.

You might want to read the comments here bout hard drive size:
    http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19244135/19399278.aspx

Three things - your original problem could well be a failed motherboard. You should thoroughly test the HDD you took out in an adptor on a desktop PC. Use manufacturers test suit. If the HDD passes, you are looking at m/b failure of course.

Second point, after installing any Windows on a desktop is almost impossible it will run when plugged into a laptop with a different motherboard, CPU, chipset, memory timings. Hardware drivers for everything will be different. Sorry, it's just not the way to do it.

Thirdly, the fact that your laptop does not recognise the full drive size is a sure indicator that the laptop bios is too old to support sizes beyond 137Gb. There were well-known limitations over the years which have gradually been moved upwards by various clever mapping schemes at the bios level. You should look up your motherboard on the manufacturers site, which will tell you what limitations exist, and if you are really lucky, offer a bios update to modernise it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back