Hard Disk is completely gone, please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey
Yesterday when I tried turning on my PC, it ran the starting thing will all the PC info and the Ram build up but then after that it went to a screen with a blinking underscore which doesn't allow me to do anything, even type.
Luckily I have another PC to use but the other one had a lot of valuable stuff on it, I can't even enter the bios screen by hitting F2. I realized it was the HD as when I tried to re-format with my windows xp cd, whether or I pick reformat or repair it wont allow me to continue as it says there are no drives to be found so there is nothing that I can do.
How do i fix this, is it too late for me to save the stuff on the HD or what, OK thanks if anyone can help, but please, it is very urgent. Bye...

Is the drive recognised by the BIOS?
At bootup after the memory check you are presented with a list of drives, it should inclue your hard drive and your CD/DVD drive.

If the BIOS can't find the drive then you either have a loose cable, wrong master/slave setting or a bad drive.

If the BIOS finds the drive but you just can't boot from it then you either have a bad drive or a corrupt boot loader.

I was told from a friend to put the HD on the PC I'm using now to see if it still works, the only thing is I don't know where it is located what it looks like.

It's a flat black or silver metal box measuring some 4x6x1 inches possibly with a wide ribbon cable running into it. Don't mix it up with your floppy drive :)

I got it.
I put it in my other PC and the HD worked. I put all the stuff to CD's.
OK, well my problem is somewhat fixed. Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back