Hard Disk Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_pavon

Maybe this has happened to one of you, I had a primary 250gb Seagate Barracuda sata hard disk partitioned in 2. One partition had XP OS and the other one I used as backup... I got my hands into a 320gb sata disk which I partitioned the same way and its my primary hard disk atm.

The problem is with the 250gb sata disk which I use for storage now, I deleted partitions and created just one, then I quick formated. As I started filling the disk I began to notice slow performance. Every time I use it, the process takes way longer than normal (Copying, burning, pasting, explorer) and mouse cursor freezes from time to time when the disk is in the middle of a process... Speed fan just gives me this message:
Warning: Unknown attribute 190 is below the average limits (52-71).

Same message I get with my other Seagate hard disks which perform perfectly.

What could be wrong with the disk? Will a complete format or full erase help it perform normally or I should be on the look out for a new hard disk?

I've tried a few things... defrag with diskeeper never completes the task, it gets to a 100% but never finishes. Chkdsk and repair with WinXP gets as far as phase 4 but it looks like it wont go anywhere from there. Short scan with seagate dos application says disk is ok but long scan shows no progress, more like it freezes.

I did not leave some process more than 30min if they showed no progress what so ever, so I might be doing something wrong there.

This might clear some doubts; I have 4 sata hard drives plugged to Gigabyte 965P DS3 mobo:
1. 320gb Seagate Barracuda
2. 120gb Samsung
3. 250gb Seagate Barracuda*
4. 250gb Seagate Barracuda

*This used to be my primary disk b4 I got the 320gb, its the same disk that fails... the other one's work perfectly!

I might have to set the PIO setting when I get home cause I have not done that yet.

I used to have one of those 250 GB barracudas. Worst hard drive I ever had. Lasted me about 4 months, then part of a circuit chip blew up. I would try the full format though. Especially for a drive that large.

The problem is fixed, it was the PIO transfer... since I was not hable to change it from windows I unplugged all hard drives and plugged them back 1 at a time and booted XP with every HD I plugged, now all have Ultra DMA and work perfectly... PIO transfer can be a real pain, but I'm glad It's fixed now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back