Hard disk problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmayo

Hello. My mom has a Dell 2400 with a 1.7ghz p4 , 768mb of pc2700, a 80 gig maxtor ide hard drive..everything has been well with it until last night..she said on the phone that it turned off and wouldnt boot up...when i went over there to see what the problem was it said there is no hard drive...i checked all the cables and jumpers and i also tried another hard drive still no luck.. does anyone know whats wrong?

johnmayo said:
Hello. My mom has a Dell 2400 with a 1.7ghz p4 , 768mb of pc2700, a 80 gig maxtor ide hard drive..everything has been well with it until last night..she said on the phone that it turned off and wouldnt boot up...when i went over there to see what the problem was it said there is no hard drive...i checked all the cables and jumpers and i also tried another hard drive still no luck.. does anyone know whats wrong?

Hi

When you plugged in the new drive did you go into the BIOS and let it get identified, I know from the Dell GX150 that it doesn't recognise new drives off the bat, I had to go and set the BIOS to Auto for the Primary Master as it was set to a user config.

It may also be true that the replacement drive is set as a slave and again I think Dell set any unused drive slots to OFF in the BIOS, so check the jumpers and check the BIOS is set to Auto for all the IDED channels.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back