Hard drive: 7200 RPM or 10000 RPM????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis_84

I am wondering if someone can help me understanding the difference between 7200 rpm hard drive and 10000 rpm hard drive? What difference does it make? Becaue the price difference is like day and night. Thanks for your help.

speed. a 10000rpm drive will access files faster than a 7200 rpm drive, but in most cases the nanoseconds or second or two is hardly worth the difference in price or is noticable by the end user. What's better is a drive with bigger onboard cache. 16mb vs. 8mb

If you are really crazy about gaming or need to run a high end server the increase in speed will help
but normal daily machine operations you will never notice the diff

Just thought I'd add this to the thread as well. A 10,000 rpm hard drive (in general) also produces more heat and more noise than a 7200 rpm drive.

Tedster said:
speed. a 10000rpm drive will access files faster than a 7200 rpm drive, but in most cases the nanoseconds or second or two is hardly worth the difference in price or is noticable by the end user. What's better is a drive with bigger onboard cache. 16mb vs. 8mb
So, would a 7200rpm drive with a 16mb cache "beat" a 10000rpm drive with an 8mb cache?
@DonNaguel: Did you just get promoted to paladin? Maybe I didn't notice it before, but it looks different...
If you did, congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back