Hard drive Disk Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimmers

Ok I have three External hard drives, The External Cases are all the same make and model. Now the power cord for one is them gives off a noise which i now isn't good, So i try not to use that hard drive that often.

Anyway i turned it off last week cause i didn't need it, then this week tried to access it and the thing isn't being detected by windows. It's an older smalled Harddrive.

Western Digtail 120 gig Drive

I run both window vista and xp on my computer and have tried logging into both and nothing happens. i have a second computer and I plugged the drive into there, with no results it didn't detect the drive at all.

Anyone have ideas cause i really want the stuff off there.

Have you looked in Disk Management (Right click on My Computer and choose Manage)? Does it show up there, but is not being assigned a drive letter?

If it didn't work in 2 setups, the drive might be dead. If you really need the data you can send it off to a recovery place, but it will be expensive, and not guaranteed.

Does the external HDD case have a fan in it? It might have got overheated or the PSU on one is gone bad. If you heard buzzing turn it off, PSU is gone. If you hear clunking noises then the HDD is going or gone bad and will need to be replaced. If you have cloning software you can dup the bad HD to onto a good HD to same whatever you had on it.

trash the case
try in the machine feel for spin of platters
see if OS detects now
if working , get a better case ,fan cooled ,upright

I've already tried it in another case, I've tried it in the machine and nothing happens. It doesn't detect it in disc managment. I've tried swapping it to another case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back