TechSpot

Hard Drive Failure

By wolexf
Mar 6, 2008
  1. I have a 80GB hard drive as slave and a 40GB as Master. Recently i just booted the computer as usual and i discover the 4 partitions on the 80GB have become corrupt
    the drive names has changes to funny symbols and names,
    Even the folders names have become funny symbols and characters and are not assesible. i have so many files and folder on that drive. Someone told me it is a virus attack. Any help on what i can do to recover the files in the partitions + even if i try to format it refuses to format the drives.
    its also slowing down my computer, tho currently i have disconnected it.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

3. wolexf

wolexf TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanx i will try it out ASAP. But do u think it is a virus attack? Have u heard of a similar case?

4. kimsland

Yes I've seen this.

What happens is the virus rips throught he files, (renaming or what ever) which can basically format a drive.

Good point you may want to try Chkdsk /R from your Windows boot disc (in the Administrator command line)
    Actually no just re=partition and start again

As long as data is not important

5. wolexf

ok but is there any possiblility of data recovery?

6. kimsland

Yes ofcourse

There are a number of different tools that you can use (even here at TechSpot)

Actually I'll find the link!

7. wolexf

ok thank i will really appreciate if i can get some files out of the hard drive

8. kimsland

9. wolexf

But i hope they will be able to recover my original files not the funny file they have turned to

10. kimsland

This may have been the page I was trying to find:

Data Recovery

But I thought one of the members had a page somewhere, but I cannot find it.
    The above (red) link is very good though.

11. Imatyta

Imatyta TS Rookie

12. kimsland

I've copied your link, and even checked the tool (DiscWizard ) Imatyta but it's 104Meg !!

And has little to do with this post here. ie don't just post it willy-nilly everywhere OK?

13. Imatyta

Imatyta TS Rookie

Well yeah it's big but it is a good tool and from what I have read he needed a tool to diagnose the HDD and possibly format so I think the link I have provided is in the Scope of this issue but whatever you say.

14. kimsland

Well I hope he doesn't use it, seeming he is trying to recover data.

As for this tools other abilities, this was not mentioned.

15. wolexf

Yes you are right am trying to recover not clear. i still have some very important files on the hard drive. so formatting would only be the last resort

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.