Hard Drive for Inspiron 8600

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Inspiron 8600, my hard drive crashed and I need a new one. My problem is I cannot seem to find one that will fit my computer. The drive that came out of it has 22 contacts and 3 pins that go into the interface in the computer. I can only seem to find drives that have all pins. Even Dell has sent me the wrong drive 3 stinkin times. First they sent one with all pins, next the send a HD that resembles a cd/dvd drive.

HELP!!!!!! Can anyone out there help me???

No, wasn't sure about the first one and the next two definately would not fit in the drive caddy, they were the size and shape of a cd/dvd drive.

I suspect you misunderstand the connector cable socket... as the Inspiron 8600 uses absolutely standard hard drives made by Seagate, Western Digital, Toshiba, Samsung, Hitachi, or duckweigh. We have not found any problems with the last 50 or so we have updated.
Suggest you go to the website for any of the laptop hard drive manufacturers, and look at their graphic presentation on how to install a hard drive. Or look at the description on the Dell tech site. There are four pins on one end that are for setting the jumpers. They are not part of the install pins for the connecting ribbon cable. You will need a jumper from the old drive, if one is required.

Dilema Solved

I really regret that I do not recall the person who gave me the information I needed, but I think it was a tech person at Newegg.

On the interface end of my hard drive OVER the pins is an adapter that lets it fit in computer. You would have thought someone at Dell's tech support dept could have told me this. Therefore, I just need to remove the adapter from my current hard drive an put over the pins on the new one and install.

Now for the loaded ? Is there a computer manufacturer out there that when you need to talk to tech support, you get someone in this country and someone you can understand? I want to be loaded with all my questions answered ahead of time when I go to purchase my next computer.

Thanks

A common mistake many on this forum have made... Each brand and model seems to require a different caddy to hold the drives, which makes quite a business for some operators on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back