Hard drive full but doesnt look to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch04

hi ok i got 111Gb hard drive and my program files say filled up 30gb so that would be all my games then windows is 9gb and there is a folder thats 1.2gb and in users 17gb and thats all I have used and It reckons that I only have 9gb left. I dont know whats going.
any suggestions what I should do I really dont want to format though.
thanks

There must be some space on the drive not being utilized but still there.

Did you partition the drive originally?

Maybe you need to backtrack.......

You could use a program like Partition Magic to manipulate the drives contents....

Windows reports your drive as being 111gb?
If your using the whole drive as one then the drive may be having some problems.

Have you scaned the drive to check its integrity?

Have you defragged your drive recently?

how about restore partition make of machine
OEM 's like to put a restore section hidden on system this way they don't have to give you a OS disc
on the subject you may have to many restore points
or page file gone nuts

Thats what I was referring to,checking to see that trhe drive isnt having any problems by scanning it mitcho4.
Samstoned brings up a good point as the system restore space could be quite large on top of any oem info being stored.

I've had the same problem in the past, here's what i did and what you could consider.

1. Defragment your hardrive
2. Go to download.com or any download site and look for an adware remover
3. Run Disk Cleanup

i have the same problem recently 60 gb has gone missing.... ive added up all my software, games , movies, windows ect....
It doesnt add up

is this a virus? and is there a programe i can download to see whats on my hardrive clearly .. or that would sort my problem out ????
thanks

When you are digging around in the drive looking for whatever is using the space, do you have "Show hidden Folders" on?

Just open up "My Computer", click on Tools, Folder Options, View and make sure "Show hidden Folders" is ticked.

did not answer ?? about back up image on drive
do what FC suggests if you have not
it will enable you to see the hidden files
delete all very old restore points again you did not mention doing this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back