Hard drive full

Status
Not open for further replies.

fja45

Hi, My Name is Fred
I have a acer laptop it has an 80gb hd with all the programs I have on it only use 12.5 gb. on the hard disk the main partition is full and I don't know why. can any one help me with it or why It keep telling me lowdisk space. D drive has very little on it. I have done all the disk cleanup & disk defrag.

Thanks
Fred

Download FULLDISK it will show you where all the used space is

By the way, no need to sign off with your name on each post you do (ie I caught it the first time ;) )

You can introduce yourself properly at the Introduce yourself forum if you like

Edit:

Member LookinAround has provided me with a better one: JDiskReport :grinthumb

Thank you for all your help. I have not found anything to help yet short of replacing the harddrive. I have done all disk stuff.

Fred

Remove Old Setup Installers

Try using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

Once installed go to Start --> Run --> C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap G! -->OK
G! : For all users, removes any cached Windows Installer data files that have been orphaned.

Info about Msizap.exe is Here
But you don't need to download it seperately, to run the above

Warning:

Using this command can cause Windows to corrupt (requiring Re-install or Repair) See Here

The files in C:\windows\Installer are maintained to allow proper Uninstall from Add/Remove Programs.
Programs such as Symantec, may not be able to uninstalled effectively

Removing them may (and can) cause corruptions in future Updating specific installed programs.

You are highly advised to use Add/Remove programs before removing any part of the Windows Installer folder. Although this will not safe gaurd you from any Programs remaining installed.

At your risk!

By the way, I did it, without any ill effects, but I still must warn anyway!

The following is correct for Xp There may be slight differences for Vista

CLEAR & RESET SYSTEM RESTORE'S CACHE

Go to Start >> Run - type or copy/paste control sysdm.cpl,,4 & press Enter

* Tick on the checkbox - Turn off System Restore on all drives
* Click Apply

The following is correct for Xp There may be slight differences for Vista

Reduce Page File Space

Start-->Run--> control sysdm.cpl,,3
Click on "Settings" button (Performance settings)
Click on "Advanced" Tab
Click on "Change" button
Set the Min and Max to 1500 (ie the same)
Apply Ok Ok
Restart

Try that Fred :)

CCleaner is user friendly
After that it gets complicated

By the way I edited Post#4 with an excellent tool to find where the gigs used are, Try that :)

There is a registry value you can set to disable this feature. To disable low disk space checks, follow these steps, log off, and then log on again: Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor: 1. Click Start , click Run , type regedit , and then click OK .
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
3. On the Edit menu, point to New , and then click DWORD Value .
4. Type NoLowDiskSpaceChecks , and then press ENTER.
5. On the Edit menu, click Modify .
6. Type 1 , and then click OK .

Hi fja45

Before the below open My Computer rt click the Drive then properties and get the size and free space.

Then do the below.

Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk Cleanup
Click OK to accept C:
Select all Boxes
Then click More Options
Here click System Restore and OK to "Are you sure" and the OK to Run.

As this runs it clears all but the most recent Restore Point but it does one other thing that can contain infested files and a huge amount of disk space.

It clears what is known as Shadow copies which are used by specialized back up programs.

This is if you have the Volume Shadow Copy running which is the default.

Next:
Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk- System Restore and create a new Restore point. Name it "After cleanup at TechSpot".

Once the new Restore point is made run the Disk Cleanup again and it will then only leave the clean "After cleanup at TechSpot" point!

Now check free space.

Mike

unable clean h/d

Hi,I was able to clean up to 800mb.an now I have only 18.5 mb free space and now can't do anything now can't back up. I had installed an Ipod now I have a real problem. Thanks

Fred

hard drive

Hi, Right now I can't do a disk clean up or disk defreg. Because of low disk space.

Thanks Fred

Are you saying my process failed?

This is your fix!

If it failed to run then you must manually clear it some elbow room.

Close IE.

Then Control panel- Internet options click the Delete in the middle and then Delete All at bottom.

Then MyComputer browse to c:\Windows\Temp and delete all files here

Then try!

Mike

the only advice i can offer is to delete the partition you are using and make a new one there are several programs you can use to do this or you can simply reinstall windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back