Hard Drive Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, here's my problem. My backup file storage drive was working fine for about 6 months or so after installing it in my new computer. I only use it to keep files like pictures and backups of my music, nothing too intensive. Then suddenly one day, it wasn't showing in "My Computer", and I had used it the night before. I checked Disk Management in MMC and it shows it's there and healthy (although now it reads as 100% Free Space). But when I right-click on the drive, the normal options that should come up, don't ("Change Drive Letter and Paths...", "Extend/Shrink/Delete Volume", "Format", etc.). The only options I get are "Properties" (which says "This device is working properly.") and "Help", which isn't much help at all. I tried putting it in an external enclosure and get the same result. I can feel and hear the drive running, and it's not making any strange noises, although it does seem to be spinning kind of fast for a drive that isn't getting used. Any ideas on what might have caused this and, more importantly, how I might fix this? If you need any more info let me know and I'll post it, I just wasn't sure if I'm allowed to post brand names and models on this site.

I'll point you to this post see [post=720762]Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive[/post] but, with your symptoms, would point towards end of the post re: data recovery tools like TestDisk. you should be able to try TestDisk whether the disk is internal or external. Also, you look for the TestDisk download version that runs under Windows (since your machine boots just fine)

Thanks, I used TestDisk and while it didn't tell me there was anything wrong with it, it let me access the drive and copy the files very easily...very slowly (120GB tho), but very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back