Hard drive - IDE or ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

Hello,

I am planning to build a portable hard drive from my 80gb seagate barracuda but am not sure if it is an IDE or ATA card... In my device manager it sais IDE but on some websites it says ATA. Is ATA the same as SATA? Does this mean I will need a SATA external case? The model number is seagate barracuda st380011a.
I would really appreciate any help

regards,

Korrupt

ATA is the formal name for IDE. An IDE drive connects to the motherboard using a 40 pin cable, usually flat. ATA is not the same as SATA which stands for Serial ATA and it connects using a 7 wire round cable. You need an IDE to USB or Firewire connector to make your hard drive portable. Hope that helps

IDE aka PATA aka ATA are all the same.

SATA is not the same as ATA (older)

don't mix the two in a system. USE SATA or IDE

Thanks for your reply,

I know know what I need to do.

I appreciate everyone's help.

This thread may now be closed.

Regards,

Korrupt

Tedster said:
IDE aka PATA aka ATA are all the same.

SATA is not the same as ATA (older)

don't mix the two in a system. USE SATA or IDE

2 IDE and 2 SATA drives in one of my systems, I'm even booting off the sata drive. Also booting Vista beta 2 off an IDE drive. I have no clue how so many people have problems running both. AFAIK there is no reason you can't run both.

btw my motherboard is Asus K8NE-Deluxe

I don't know why a few people insist others should not run systems with dual drives (IDE SATA)
I go back and forth all the time
even have 1 pata drive 1 sata drive and 1 scsi in a system running no error for 6 months.
that said
there are issues with config and it can be a pain on some MBs to get the config to work
on other MB's no issues at all
your portable drive is going to have a adapter to convert to usb anyway
just make sure your drive file system is set to basic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back