Hard Drive Issue(s)

Issue #1: I currently have 2 hard drives installed on my desktop. I'm using them as 2 separate drives. One is a 750 gig which has windows vista (came with the computer) for every day use and the other is 2 terabyte with windows 7 which is for music recording purposes only. Whenever I boot my computer, it gets to a blue HP screen that has several F key options (F10, F11, F9) and then there is an ESC option for boot menu to select between the 2 hard drives. The 750gig always boots up regardless of which one I choose. All the cables are hooked up properly. I don't understand. Could somebody please help?

Oops! I forgot issue #2: My 750 gig hd freezes up. It was doing this before I got the 2 terabyte hd (which is why I bought it in the first place). Everything loads up and works fine for about a minute or 2 and then everything freezes. Even after letting it set for awhile nothing works. Not even Ctrl/Alt/Delete works. Nothing. I did a factory restore on it after I got all the files moved from the 750 to the 2 tera. Any ideas on this one as well?

What are the make/models of the Hard drives? Have you tried going into your bios and set the 2 Terabyte hard drive as primary? In my opinion, I would eliminate Windows Vista (no point in running Dual Boot Windows Vista AND Windows 7). If you've already saved what you want from the 750 GB hard drive, then I would just format it and use it as extra storage until it no longer works, or just eliminate it totally from the system. You can setup profiles if you are worried about keeping information separate or you can give another operating system (Linux) a try.

What are the ages of these HDD?
Download HDTune Free and see what's the health of the HDD each?
Or In the BIOS enable SMART and disable quiet boot and see what the condition of each HDD.
HDTune Free would you a general idea of the HDD are doing.
Also in the case the fans you should have one for air-intake and air-outtake.

Make sure all vents are cleaned every 3 to 6 months depending on
Smoke/Smoking (Brown Ash)
Dust
Pet Dander

HDD from 2009 running every day are due for replacement. I just replaced one. WD Blue SATAIII
But Seagate Bacxxx TB tend to fail more common place. If you have those make sure you run some HDD test software from Seagate on those. Samsung HDD well those tend to go bad without warning.
Maxtor or Quat versions were very good by then can fail also.

HDD Freezing or you system is time to replace those HDD. Don't fight it! Replace it!

issue #2: My 750 gig hd freezes up. It was doing this before I got the 2 terabyte hd (which is why I bought it in the first place). Everything loads up and works fine for about a minute or 2 and then everything freezes. Even after letting it set for awhile nothing works. Not even Ctrl/Alt/Delete works. Nothing. I did a factory restore on it after I got all the files moved from the 750 to the 2 tera. Any ideas on this one as well?

If a hard drive is 'freezing up'. It is dead man, sure it may work some, but its dead. Putting any data on it is not a smart move, and trying to run an OS on it is a bad idea.

A better idea is back-up the data while it is still working, and RMA the drive if it is under warranty. If it is not, then either get by with less space or buy a new drive.

Back