Hard drive issues - NTFS.SYS ERROR 0x00000024

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhp

Hi Folks,
I'm new to this forum. Thanks in advance for your help.

I cut and pasted this from another thread, it's very similar, but I read trhough the thread and it did not resolve my problem. It's also dated. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic5352.html

I have a big problem. Windows XP pro got a blue screen suddenly. And now it can't boot. normal mode... safe mode, recover console,... anything.

ERROR 0x00000024
NTFS.SYS

and it says... check the disk with CHDSK /F to repair the problem.... but I can't because I can't access to anything to do a CHKDSK...

What I've done to date is: Replaced the HD, The system can boot, but I need critical data on the other hard drive. I called MSFT tech support and had them walk me through a boot from cd. If I connect the old HardDrive as a secondary, the blue screen does not allow me to proceed. I do not want to overwrite/reformat the hardrive until I get the data off.

What elss can I do?
Really need some help here - Thanks

Since the Windows NTFS.sys crashes, perhaps you can access it using another NTFS driver.

Create a bootable CD using something like www.knoppix.org and see if you can access the drive. Perhaps you work with it from there.

Went to the knoppix site, it's not english and I'm mono lingual unfortunately. Any advise? what does knoppix do anyhow?

Oh, I'm sorry.
http://www.knoppix.com/

Knoppix is a bootable Linux CD, that is a full OS. It is very user friendly to use and works on a variety of platforms... And it just might be able to give the access you need to work with your drive.

Bugcheck 24 is usually caused by faulty ram

Hi,

Usually bugcheck 24 is caused by faulty ram. Run chkdsk /r at recovery console to repair some bad I/O blocks. Run memtest to stress test the ram.

accessing a fat drive from windows ntfs

I tried several things, by accident i almost got there.
I installed a new HD with win xp pro. using the jumper block on the hard drive, I made teh old hard drive an "alternate capacity limits drive capacity to 32 gbytes".
I was able to boot up and when i tried to access this drive "F", it said its a fat drive and cant access it.
if i install this drive as a slave, i still get ntfs.sys error 24.

i think that if i find a way to access a FAT drive "F" from my NTFS drive "C". i might be able to see it's contents and somehow copy them over.

anyone have advice?

data recovery successful

So my hard drive was shot due to this ntfs.sys error. after reading all your threads, and talking to many, i knew there was a way to retrieve teh data. BTW, the data i was after was all my photo's from 2001. thousands of family shots that i would have died if lost. I even spoke to a data recovery firm, the avg firm wanted anywhere from $900-$2000. I wanted the data, but that price would have hurt.

The resolution path that I took was; I bought and loaded a new hard drive with a fresh OS (win xp pro)on it (I needed 2 HD's anyhow). I loaded the corrupt HD in the second bay and played wih the master slave setting until the system booted past the blue screen. I also tried to access it many other ways. The one command that I did not use because I thought i could cause more harm was the convert command, to change the drive from fat to ntfs. That might have worked and once all my data is secure I will try it.
finally, I was able to see the corrupted drive F:, but i was unable to access it. it said the drive was RAW.
I searched the web for data recover software, i tried 4-6 trial versions, some worked some didn't. most just captured the data in random order, not keeping the file names or structures. I ran across one that showed me all my files in order, correct names, etc. It's called Stellar (fat & NTFS). i am in the process of retreiving all files that I care about, i'll put them on the new drive as well as CD's clean everything up and back my stuff up from now on. It all looks good.

All in all, it took me about 1 week to figure this out, i'm not a tech wiz, but im not afraid to hack around. The new drive cost me $150, and the recovery software cost me $129.

money well spent.
good luck all,
Brock out....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back