Hard drive likes to hum now, never did before.  Failing?

By foycur
May 22, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have two WD hard drives in my system and I think one of them has started to make a new noise. Sort of like a rattle now and then. No real clicking, almost sounds like resonance. Hard drive about to fail? Any way I can check the 'health' of the hard drive?

What backup programs out there are good to make an exact backup of the hard drive that I can save to a few blank DVDs? I've heard of Norton Ghost but not much else.....appreciate any feedback.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

Yes it does sound like your hdd is on the blink.

Go HERE and read the this thread.

Regards Howard :grinthumb
  3. patio

patio TechSpot Maniac Posts: 700

You could also check the 4 mounting screws to make sure they are secure just in case...I believe Data Lifeguard Tools which you can DLoad from WD's site also includes a drive fitness test.
    As to back-ups i have recently switched from Ghost to Acronis True Image...well worth the price for the peace of mind that goes with solid backups.

patio. :rolleyes:
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Well, your hard drives will fail, you just have to figure out when. :(

Strange noises can be bad for sure, but isn't a definite sign of failure. You can run a drive diagnostic to check for current problems, but it isn't really definitive. http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

The best thing to do is back up your data and if something does happen, you won't lose it. :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.