Hard drive/MoBo Issues? You Be the Judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have had my PC Built and Oporational for about a year now. Up untill maybe 3 months ago..it quit working all together. It would give me beep codes and show nothing. I fixed this by taking everything out and putting everything back in, just in Reverse Order. Now that the computer comes on, It goes through all its prep, then as soon as its about to start Windows XP, it gives me a message saying that windows did not shut down sucessfully last time and that to save my data, I have to do one of 5 things. Safe mode, Safe mode with networking, Safe mode with command Prompt, Last known Good Config, or Start Windows Normally. When I select Start Windows Normally or Last Known Good config, It Goes to the Windows XP Loading Screen. After about 20 seconds on this screen, the Blue Screen of Death Flashes then the pc restarts itself. If I Select The other three options...Text of System files flood my screen, then it stays there for about 20 seconds, the restarts itself.

Something Tells me its Corrupted Windows Xp Files, So I decided to Reformat. However...My Computer has a mind of its own and it decided that i does not want to reformat. I'll Explain. :dead:

I place my Windows Xp start up disk into my CD Rom and boot it from the CD. When it does its "thing", It tells me to Install Xp, Fix XP, or Quit. Whenever I try to Fix XP or just plain Install it...It tells me my Hard drive is not installed. This is incorrect, because How could the pc start windows up at the loading screen (see above) and not have the hard drive hooked up. Specs include:

Seagate 80 MB - Model # - ST380013AS

EpoX Mobo - Model # - 8K9A7 (I have the Most recent BIOS for this Mother Board)

I have tried everything I know to do..So I leave it to you guys.

Thanks and Please Help!

MgGunner :monkey:

Go into the BIOS and have it manually detect the hard drive. Also change the IDE cable and make sure the power connector is in firmly or try a different one.
Go to Seagates website and download their diagnostic tools. You may also try going back to the older motherboard BIOS. Once when I upgraded mine all the PCI slots stopped working.

Alright update...

I ran the Diognostics for Seagate on the pc. It detected 1 or more errors..yet it cannot fix them because the program is for informational purposes only.

Now what? :eek:

Also, when (re-)installing on an SATA drive, you'll need to load the SATA-drivers from the floppy, when XP asks if you have any SCSI-drivers etc. If so, press the F6 button, then load SATA, then XP

Alright...

I may sound like a Novice..thats because I am.

Where might one find SCSI-drivers for my hard drive? >.>

Also...Windows is asking for txtsetup.oem whenever I press F6..that may help you guys...it might not.

Again, Thanks for helping me out.

You should have gotten a floppy with the hard drive that has the SATA drivers on it. If not you can download them from Seagates site. txtsetup means the computer is asking for the drivers.

i'd suspect that a part went south on you, most likely that epox board. perhaps a power surge or wetness (in basement mabye?) messed your machine up. i've seen some pretty shoddy voltage regulators on those epox models...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back