Hard Drive Not Responding

My Buffalo HD which is actually a WD 500GB Hard drive. I opend it up and connected via SATA adapter but still the problem persists. I checked the drivers. Looked for clicking noise as in dead hard drive but none of those problems seems to be there. Also I tried formatting it but was unable to do so. Can anyone tell me whats the cause? It still may be the head problem but its not clicking as a dead hard drive does. It also seems to be spinning just fine but can't get to the root of the problem. Does anyone knows whats the problem?

Could be some issue on the PCB. Suppose if you were really dedicated to getting your data back you could buy the same drive off eBay or wherever and swap the boards. That may be more difficult to do since Buffalo may not have stuck to WD the whole time OR WD supplied a special series of drives to Buffalo. Check the model numbers to be sure before going that route.

Could be some issue on the PCB. Suppose if you were really dedicated to getting your data back you could buy the same drive off eBay or wherever and swap the boards. That may be more difficult to do since Buffalo may not have stuck to WD the whole time OR WD supplied a special series of drives to Buffalo. Check the model numbers to be sure before going that route.

Can't I get the pcb only from anyone? as I dnt think those hard drives are in production anymore.

Can't I get the pcb only from anyone? as I dnt think those hard drives are in production anymore.
Also is there any other way of replcing or not usingg pcb?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats why I said eBay first.

Also is there any other way of replcing or not usingg pcb?
Well, you removed the problem of the enclosure. You say its getting power. Put it in another computer. If that doesn't work, then no, I don't think you have any other options. (unless you think an option is paying thousands of dollars for a data recovery service)

Thats why I said eBay first.

Well, you removed the problem of the enclosure. You say its getting power. Put it in another computer. If that doesn't work, then no, I don't think you have any other options. (unless you think an option is paying thousands of dollars for a data recovery service)

k. than you. will see what can I do.

Back