Hard drive not seen in bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a hitachi 60gb ata100 hd which has xp pro on it it works fine in my pc ,but when i put it in my old pc it does not show up in the bios
this pc has a packard bell mediablaster 2 mb ,p3 500 mhz ,384 dram ,the bios is an amibios american megatrends,bios version is 1998 ,it has ata33 compatabillity.
when pc is switched on nothing ,on entering bios setup no hard drive(jumpers are set to master)
when setting jumpers to 32gb limit and rebooting windows safe mode screen appears ,selecting safe mode windows halts on the last line ending agp.440.
is this hard drive to new for this old pc?.
the original hard drive suffered a mechanical failure but it was running xp pro fine (if a little slow) for 2 years.
any ideas?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

That hard drive is never going to work in your old pc. This is because it has all the mobo drivers on it from your current pc, which won`t work with the old mobo.

The only way it might work, is if you formatted the drive, but I doubt you really want to do that.

Just buy a new drive for the old machine.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

,i was pretty suret thats what it was ,i shall build a new pc for the hard drive .
thank you for your speedy reply
mash 1971

Hahah, building a new computer for a hard drive? Wouldnt it be better to buy a new hard drive?

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back