Hard Drive Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure this is a silly question.

I partitioned my 40 G HD to C: = 10 and d: = 30.

If I want to change it to 20 and 20 can I do that without having to reinstall my programs on c:. I don't have anything right now on d:

Thanks in advance for help.

Sherry

If you don't have anything stored on the D: why did you make that your larger partition? Anyway I would say that if you don't have anything really important on your HD just to format and start over. You can always just make a backup and go from there.

I agree with ak, though with 3rd party vendor software such as Partition Magic and such, it "may" be possible to repartition without losing anything. If you were going the other direction (making c: smaller), it might be a little tougher though.

partition magic can easily do this for you. it can take some time to do it but it can reallocate the space.

All you need is a partition resizing program. Since you don't have anything on D: then the whole process will take less than 10 minutes (if you manage to get it right).

There aren't many programs around that can resize NTFS partitions. If you have formatted C: as NTFS you have a choice between Partition Magic and Partition Commander. If C: happens to be a FAT32 filesystem then there are many programs out there that can do the resizing for you.

You can also use Ghost if you have a seperate machine to use as a ghost server. You'd make a ghost image of your C drive then repartition normally - then put down the original 10 gig ghost image over the 20 gig partition you newly made. The easiest way is going to be with Partition magic or some other partitioning software though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back