Hard Drive Problem - Moving hard drive from AMD system to Pentium system

By Davidj8166
Dec 26, 2004
  1. Hard Drive Installation Problem

I am trying to move a hard drive that was installed on an AMD processor
    system to a computer with a Pentium 4 motherboard. The drive has Windows XP installed. What do I need to do to get this to work. Ultimately I want to install a new hard drive and move the files over from the old one that was installed in the AMD system.
  2. MrDJ009

MrDJ009 TS Rookie

Should be a simple move

There is nothing uniquely different about a computer with an AMD vs Intel processor. The hard drive, which I assume is your only drive, is not a processor dependent peripheral. Bringing up a new motherboard, however, will trigger plug and play reinstalls for most of your peripherals--sound "card", video card, modem, e.t.c.

When you install a "new" hard drive you will need devise a cut over procedure. Usually, what I do is as follows:

- Install the new drive as a slave drive, keeping the old drive (i.e. C: ) as the master. The new drive will have no partitions and will not be formatted. Jumpers will have to be set on each drive to accomplish this.

- Using Partition Magic, or a similar utility, copy the primary partition from C: to the new drive which will now assigned drive letter D.

- If you have other drive letters in use, and you intend to retire the old drive, copy each letter to the extended partition on the new drive. If you intend to keep you old drive as a slave drive you can leave the additional drive letters alone.

- After all of the copying is done you must now reverse the master/slave jumpers on each drive. Your new drive will be drive C, your old drives primary partition will become drive D.

Until everything seems to be working OK for a week or two I usually "hide" my old primary partition, which is now drive D. You can then either delete and reformat the old primary partition (now hidden) or keep it as a backup in case you have a disaster on your new C: drive.

Do check out the internet (Google, Yahoo or whatever) and you will find there are many procedures written to accomplish the above.

3. Davidj8166

Davidj8166 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the Info - Another Question

I tried moving the old hard drive from the AMD system to the Pentium system.
    When the computer starts to boot-up, the boot-up only gets to "Verifying DPI Pool....." and goes not further. Windows doesn't load and the computer defaults to the screen where you can select Safe Mode, or Normal Start,etc.
    When I select Safe Mode, the computer restarts, but ends up at the same spot. The hard drive is recoginized OK, most of the bios settings are in Auto.
    Is there some driver problem that are keeping Windows XP from starting normally?
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

All the hardware (especially the motherboard-related) is different, therefore XP from an AMD-mobo will NEVER recognise a Pentium-mobo, and vice-versa.
    Your best option really is to instal XP from scratch, then install the pentium-mobo drivers, then the rest.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.