TechSpot

Hard drive problem need help please any one

By Teknikz6
Feb 3, 2008
  1. well im new to this forum and i just needed to ask some questions
    my 2nd hard drive has been acting up and its just a storeg for my music and its been acting laggy and slowin my system down and some time frezzez my pc please help need to know if i need to buy a new one

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

We need to know your system configuration, hard drive brands and models, and what you mean by "acting up." What is installed on the two drives?
    The freeze could be anything, but hard drive is a good guess, if it is more than three years old, or a Quantum or a Maxtor, or a DiamondMax, or a Hitachi, or a Fujitsu, or a silver 80 GB Western Digital.

3. Teknikz6

Teknikz6 TS Rookie Topic Starter

WD Caviar® SE

WD2500JB
    View More Photos
    EIDE Hard Drives
    250 GB, 100 MB/s, 8 MB Cache, 7200 RPM
    i dont know if its over heating or if its just messing up i try playin a song and just frezzez or takes to long or just frezzez up my pc hel please

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

So if you copy that song (or a few music clips) over to your C drive, and play from there, all is OK. ?

Also you can run a CheckDisk

It's also a good idea to defrag the drive, but defrag itself can put great strain on a drive. Therefore if you believe the drive may fail, it may be wise to backup (to another drive ie C, or to DVD)

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

6. kimsland

Hi SNGX1275 Congratulations on hitting 7000 Posts :grinthumb

Thank-you for that list of Drive diagnostic disks too.

Just a question for you, I have noticed that there are a lot of useful old posts, actually especially from you.
    Instead of searching TechSpot every time for a good old post, can you possible put a big list together, and then post it ?
    Ideally in Number # sequence, ie:
    #1 Drive Diagnostics http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html
    #2 Network Diagnostics http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic????.html
    This would really help me and others, by saying, "go to this link - and look at #1"
    Although this is just a matter of using the search feature, the only issue is that you need to know what you are searching for, and usually these searches give many responses (too many)

Anyway, just a thought.

Congratulations again, on hitting the big 7 O (Gramps!)

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Thanks for the congrads. I've broke 7000 twice now, just didn't have a thread like some people like to do.

As to your suggestion. Its not a bad one, but most of the important threads are already stuck at the top of the forums they are relavant to. Although I don't think anyone would stop you if you wanted to create a thread like that to link to.

8. kimsland

Yes I read that a while ago, when the saga was going on
    Ok twice!, probably closer to 8000 then

Now, do you really want me to go through all the guides and 572000 posts.
    I really prefer you do it, please. I bet you have those links yourself somewhere already.

Anyway, I will stop nagging on Teknikz6 post.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.