hard drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffguy

need help on how to install second hard drive

heres my problem i just got my computer back from repair and the guy gave me a really crapy hard drive so i want to install a second one. I need some help on how to install this thing. its a Maxtor 80gb. plz help :(

its pretty simple..

unplug power cable.
remove side panel of case.

put hdd in 3.5 drive bay... secure with screws..

configure jumper settings to SLAVE on the HDD , note it should show on the actual hdd or the documentation how to do this..
plug ide cable into hdd.. note there should be a small notch in the center of the cable telling you which side goes up... plug in a power cable..

put side panel on, plug power in... turn on.

what exactly are you having problems with...

setting the jumpers or putting the drive in the system?

putting the drive in the system is as simple as plugging the cables in.

the IDE cable specifically. it will be the one that is attached to the other hard drive... there should be 2 adapters on the cable that you can "plug" something into... the IDE cable is like a ribon.. it is very thin and about 3 inches wide.. the power adapter will have 4 wires.

how do i switch it to slave and do i need to do anything to master drive?

Just wonderong 2 hard drives r bad for comp or good?

if you look at the drive you want to install it should have a small diagram on the back of it with jumper settings.

that should tell you how.

Having an additional hdd is not good or bad... its all a matter of personal need/want.

k i found my jumper settings on the back of the hd and it says slve jumper parking position on PK. i dont know wat that means.

thats all i know about the hd sry.

i still need to know how to set it to PK. THats wat it said one the back of my hd to put it on PK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back