TechSpot

hard drive problems... newbie help please!

By degeneration
Jan 1, 2004
  1. I bought a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB ATA/133 hard drive yesterday, and my computer won't recognise it when I plug it in.

My motherbaord is an older one (about 3 1/2 years old), and is a Gigabyte BX-2000.

I go to that setup menu thing where the IDE HDD Auto detect is, and whenever I run this with the new HD in, it just hangs when trying to detect it.

Regardless whether I have it as Master or Slave it just won't work.

How do I fix this?

I read in another thread something about a particular cable being needed... is this the case? If so, why didn't the shop let me know this when I was buying the HD?

If I get this cable, will all other devices that I have in my computer just now still work on it, or will the cable only be for this new HD?

I need help fast, as I'm pretty sure the HD that this new one is replacing doesn't have much long left!!!

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

You will need to buy an 80-pole IDE-cable (get a round one while you are at it), which will only work on all IDE-HDs, not on CD-ROMs.

The guy in the shop probably did not know wether he was selling you a pound of cookies or a harddisk, and most OEM disks come without any cables.

Also you may need to look for an upgrade of your BIOS if the cable alone does not do the trick.

3. BrownPaper

BrownPaper TS Rookie Posts: 407

if this new hard drive you have is sharing a cable with another device. make sure you set the jumper on one device as master and the jumper on the other device as a slave. if you set one of the devices to cable select, your mobo might not detect your drive.

4. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,929   +186

The latest BIOS for your mainboard (if it's not the + model) is F9 2002/1/14

I did not find info on how large harddrives it supports (and I wont download it's manual on 56k modem..)

But this you should be able to find in the manual... Or ask Gigiabyte directly....

http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-BX2000.htm

The 80-conductor cable enables you to use DMA modes over 33mb/s (up to 133) but it is not required, your harddrive should be backwards compatible without problems... You will just get lower performance....

I would assume this is a BIOS limitation...

5. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,058

Does your mobo support ATA133? If not, you may need a separate controller card.

6. Per Hansson

Didn't think of that, this is what's listed on the homepage of the mobo:

I/O
    2 x Ultra DMA 33 Bus Master IDE ports on board

This will reduce your performance... Buy a cheap controller board and it should work stratight away... Make sure that it supports 48-bit LBA mode (really large harddrives over 137GB..)

And don't forget that 80-pin conducator cable either.... (otherwise it will only run at 33mb/s anyway...)

7. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

Ultra DMA 33 should work fine with an 80GB hard drive. If your cable is not faulty, and assuming you have set the drive jumpers correctly, then you may very well have a defective drive. Try a different cable and try setting your drive to Chip Select (CS) setting.

8. degeneration

degeneration TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the responses.

But I'm not too clued up on the hardware side of computers... what is a controller card?

And are you saying that I don't actually need cable to get the drive to work, but it will just work with not as good performance?

And I downloaded the bios update, but when I try to update it, in the bit where it asks for the new bios file path, once I've entered it, it keeps coming up with "bios ID error"... any tips on what I'm doing wrong?

9. Per Hansson

Re: Re: hard drive problems... newbie help please!

It's called Cable Select, but CS requires special hardware, set the drive alone on the cable and set it as master and it should work

But my guess is that your mobo might not supprt such large harddrives, e-mail gigabyte and ask them

10. degeneration

The hd it is meant to be replacing was a 60GB drive (bought 2 years ago), and it worked absolutely fine on the motherboard.

11. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,058

Re: Re: Re: hard drive problems... newbie help please!

I've not known CS to require anything special over the last 3 years......I've used it on machines from 233Mhz and up without a problem. Just my end to the means I've been using.

12. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

Re: Re: Re: hard drive problems... newbie help please!

Sorry, my typo.
    You just need an 80 conductor cable for it to work (or a *special* non-standard 40 wire cable).

Check out this article ...

Configuration Using Cable Select

13. Humz

Humz TS Rookie

Hi,

If the new 80 GB HD is replacing 60GB HD then there should not be any compatibility issues.

1. check the cable direction. red ribbon thing.
    2. check the jumpers put the new HD as master and stand alone and see if it is detected in BIOS.
    3. See the hard drive works on any of your friends computers if it does not work on yours. Do the process of elimination.
    4. Still problems replace with another HD. HD may be bad.

14. degeneration

Thanks for the help everyone, as I've now got it working.

It was the motherboard bios that stopped it working.

It seems version F2 was good enough to allow the 60GB drive to work ok, but it needed to be more recent than that to allow the 80GB drive to work. Even though when I was updating the bios it was saying "bios ID error", I decided to give it a shot anyway, and it worked.

So crisis over, I now have a working HD.

Thanks all.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.