Hard Drive Problems - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here's my situation:

I have a NTFS 200GB hard-drive and I'm trying to connect it to another computer as a slave drive with all its files intact. Strangely my computer is reading the drive as a FAT drive with only 10MB on it. I'm trying to avoid any kind of formatting of the drive. I've tried converting the drive to NTFS using the Command Prompt (convert k: /fs:ntfs, but I keep getting "bad link" and "lost chain cross-linked" errors). I have no clue what is going on or what to do next.

Any kind of help would be most appreciated - thanks.

Just curious, is your 'other' computer an older one (few years or greater)? Are you certain it supports 200GB drives? Many computers just a few years ago didn't support 200GB drives and I think this could be a possible problem.

Obviously, triple check your jumpers. Don't use any of that 'cable select' stuff... Define a master and a slave. Some drives have a 'single master' setting and a 'master with slave' setting - make sure you have selected the right one (master with slave if sharing a cable with two drives).

And lastly, an external enclosure may be an inexpensive, but very useful alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back