Hard Drive Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

whtddusy516

OK, so I recently recieved a newer computer then what i was running on before, and i took out the two HDDs from the old one to the new and started it up. But in the new one whenever i boot up my computer it'll say that theres a problem with my main HDD, and it ran scandisk and found bad sectors at the very end of the drive. It fixed it and the computer ran fine. When i restarted the computer it found it AGAIN, so i let it fix it and i continued. Well it hasn't stopped, i can skip over the scandisk and itll run fine but eventually i know itll bite me in the ****. I'm trying not to use my other HDD as the main one (the one im currently using is faster) but if its the only resort i guess ill have to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

AJ

Download some diagnostic utilities from the manufacturer of your drive.- http://www.duxcw.com/faq/hd/diag.htm
They might tell you if you have anything serious to worry about.
If it encourages you to make regular backups,it could be a good thing.
My checkdisk has been finding bad sectors for the last 5 years.So far no problems.

Go to the following registry location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
Double-click the value BootExecute.
Under BootExecute, you may find a few entries, such as:
autocheck autochk *
back up reg
To prevent CHKDSK /F from running for NTFS partition D: the entry becomes:

autocheck autochk *
autocheck autochk /k:D

you need to reformat your hard drives and reload the OS on your system. Windows uses drivers specific for each machine. The hard drive/OS will not work right on your new system with old system data. This is especially true if you are using it as a primary hard drive.

Depending upon how old the hard drive is, it also could have developed bad sectors over time. Formatting it, will freshen up the SMART table.

thanks for the replys but i failed to mention more details

when i moved the drives over i had formatted them for this, ive learned the hard way before lol

also im running Win 98 SE so i believe its a Fat32 and i saw that one of the replys said NTFS...would the solution remain the same?

thanks

Win 98 is fat 32
to make a little clearer ,you moved formatted drives to new machine ,then loaded the W98 on it??
do search for 98 chkdsk reg fix
and at this point I would reload OS as you probubly have nothing on it yet
98 doesn't have to much problems with migration to new hardware,not like W2000 or xp
it will ask for the install disc to load missing drivers ,don't think thats an issue here
try using the one main boot disc first leaving the other disc out
make sure the bios setup for disc is auto ,for now unless disc are over 40gb set to lba
if your system can handle you may want to think about upgrade to W2k
min should be 300mhz 128 mb memory
M$ says this (it does not run well (I tried it))
133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible CPU.
Memory At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM;
Hard Disk 2 GB with 650 MB free space.

Drive CD-ROM or DVD drive.
Display VGA or higher resolution monitor.
Keyboard Required.

ok i seem to be starting some confusion..i forget sometimes that not everyone knows what im talking about :knock:

ok here is my system as of now

P3 933Mhz
512Mb Ram
Maxtor 20Gb HD(2)
Old ATI Rage Pro AGP 2x (8mb)
2 Cd-Rom Drives (Upgrading to CD-RW once i get all of the problems fixed)

ok, on my old computeri had Win98 and WinXP Dual boot
eventually i got rid of Xp becuase i set up the dual boot incorrectly
so i took that Hd and put it inthe new computer and re partitioned/formatted right away, then installed Win98

I don't remember correctly, but i don't think the ScanDisk popped up at first, it might have been the second week, not sure. I didnt get to really use the computer till a couple days ago (I've had it for about a month)

if you where on the internet without firewall protection
and or AV protection (last I dont' use)some people need it though,
you may have gotten a virus
we will assume not
remove the 2nd drive
try letting it run now
if it does not again do search for reg edit to stop this action at startup

Code:
Scandisk and Disk Defragmenter Processes Are Not Completed

When you attempt to run Disk Defragmenter or Scandisk, 
they may not run to completion; the process may stop when it is anywhere from one percent to 50 percent complete. 
These symptoms may also occur when you attempt to run Disk Defragmenter or Scandisk from Safe mode.

This could mean that your computer has been infected with the Fun Love virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back