Hard Drive Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptim

I was having problems with my hard drive, so I took it out and put it it a external hard drive case. When I went Properties, it comes up with 0 bytes of info., and it says the HD is 0 bytes in size. I'm assuming the HD is toast.

Cinders said:
It may be toast or it may not be compatible with your external box. Find out the make and model of your drive put it back into your computer (take it out of your external box) and download and run its diagnostic tool.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

I couldn't get it to boot up in the computer. I was trying to see if I could get some files from it. But, it appears to be trashed.

If it's not trashed you can do a repair install and hopefully get back your files, but you have to check the drive first with it's diagnostic utility before you declare it dead.

SNGX1275 said:
Can you boot from a live linux cd and see if you can get at the data that way? Like Cinders said, what does one of the Drive Diagnostic Utilities say about the drive?

I'll have to wait until I get home to try the test's. I'm at work, the IT guys here are real touchy about loading software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back