Hard Drive question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey its me again, I was wondering if a hard drive really had performance besides capacity. I mean what does the RPMs mean? Do they make a difference? :suspiciou

RPM is revolutions per minute, or how fast the needled cache will spin, which results in basically.......higher RPM means faster read times. basic is 7200 RPM and the high end is 10,000 RPM. Performance-wise people usually buy a small hard drive (40 gigs or so) and install the OS on that one so the boot time will be small. Then they have a second hard drive in a larger size (100 GB or whatever) to install programs onto. This will implement a quasi state of performance increase than using 1 hard drive, but calculable visual performance comes from memory, CPU, and video card.

Yup, installing the os on a diff hd, and then large files, dvd's, music, apps, games, ect,ect on a different drive, will increase performance, and a better, stable os.

Would a 7200 RPM hard drive be a great difference from 5400 RPM hard drive? Do RPMs increase your computer's speed in gaming??

Well, i would say that 7200 be the standard these days, 5,400rpm drives are pretty old, maybe 3-4 y/o. You will be fine with a 7200 rpm drive.

RPM affect drive performance directly. 7200/5400=1.333... so a 7200RPM drive is roughly 33% faster than its 5400RPM counterpart. Also, assuming that a 7200RPM drive is newer and bigger, you could also benefit from higher recording density and better mechanics. So the real performance difference between an old 5400 and a 7200 may be up to 1.5-2 times.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back