Hard Drive rebooting system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I have this 120gb seagate drive. About a week ago my system would not boot up. After a little bit of work I discovered my drive was causing the problem and I switched it out for another and reinstalled all my stuff.

The problem is I have some data on that drive I would really like to get. But if the drive is connected to my computer it reboots when windows tries to load, even though its not the drive windows is loaded on. When I ran a seagate diagnostic program I had, it saw the drive but when it was doing its diagnostic the screen bugged out and had a bunch of weird shapes everywhere and froze.

Anyone have any ideas on how I might recover my data?

Was it the Windows Seagate diagnostic tool or the one you run from a floppy/CD?

This looks like a power supply or a motherboard issue.. Try to diagnose the hard drive in another computer?

It was a seagate diagnostic on a bootable CD I had from when I worked on the Geek Squad with best buy. I have no power supply or motherboard issues, like I said this hard drive was the primary drive untill it had this problem but now regardless of where I put it on IDE cables windows wont load, even in safe mode. I have a 40gb drive as my primary with a new 250 on the other ide cable with a cd/dvd drive on it as well, they run just fine.

So the hard drive is bad :)

Now, since you refuse to put it in another computer.. Try some CD Linux like Knoppix and see if it has better luck reading the thing?

Refusal to put it in another computer is being confused with knowing its not that, but to humor you I tried another computer with the same no windows boot error. I'm wondering if anyone has seen a problem like this before and knows of a way to get around booting or if its just not possible.
Like, is there a way to have my system boot then look at the drive, because the problem seems to be during boot. But who knows really.
As for CD linux I dont have a current means of burning a CD, so perhaps theres another route?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back