Hard drive seemingly broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had to format my hard drive, I deleted the partition that was on there and then used both a boot disk and the Windows XP CD to create a new partition and try to format the drive ready to install windows. Every time though, it says the disk is damaged or I need to install SCSI drivers, which I don't. My problem is that the hard drive was working fine before I emptied it, other things weren't, but that was, and now it isn't and I'm stuck with nothing. Is there anything that could have gone wrong other than the drive actually being broken?

OMG, I'm having the same problem with my computer. It was working fine until i went to recover it. HP Total care told me to use the Manufacturers menu to completely erase the hard drive, then recover, since i was having problems recovering regularly... After i "wiped bad sectors" it gives me a message that my hard drive is bad, and i had to order a replacement from HP. Could the broken drive be related to the erasing? or was it just a coincidence?

Welcome to TS.

You already had the benefit of tech support from HP. I would not second guess them at this point. Based on your symptoms, they had you execute steps that led to error messages indicating disk failure.

I view your observation
Manufacturers menu to completely erase the hard drive, then recover, since i was having problems recovering regularly
as confirming a HD failure.

At this forum, you are encouraged to use a fresh post for your problem. Most times, a stale post does not add to understanding the current problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back