TechSpot

Hard drive shot on KDS Valiant Laptop, need help getting to it!

By thadd677
Sep 4, 2005
  1. I have removed and swapped hard drives before on laptops and its been very easy. Not this time. I'm working on someones KDS Valiant 671XH and the hard drive is clearly shot. It constantly makes this loud clicking noise like the arm is hitting the disc. It doesn't get recognized in the bios, doesn't boot, and Windows XP installation doesn't recognize and drive. Anyway, there is no easy slot to get to it. I tried basically taking the whole laptop apart and I was able to seperate it in half by about an inch, enough for me to see in there. I am able to see the hard drive but its still screwed to something above it, looks like the bottom of where the keyboard sits. The keyboard doesn't come off at all. It almost looks like its screwed in from the bottom so I can't get that off. There are also ribbon cables connect between the two pieces and I don't know how to unplug those. I don't want to majorly break anything so I'm being careful. Basically, I need instructions from someone who has done this before or I need a diagram from the manufacturer which I can't find. If people can possibly help, I'll try and take some pics of what I have done so its clearer. Thank you.

2. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 482

Have you checked the manuf."s website or Dloaded the manual ? ?

I am not familiar with that manuf.

patio. :cool:

3. thadd677

thadd677 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I can't find the manufacturer's website or a place to download the manual. Maybe I'm an ***** but I just can't find it. Is KDS out of business?

I actually ended up getting the keyboard up and finding the hard drive underneath so I'm all set. I didn't like how it went though. Hopefully I don't run into this again in the future!

4. unkwnfreq

unkwnfreq TS Rookie

Hi I am new here so if I make a mistake let me know. I was just working on a KDS 671XH and thought I might be able to help. The hinge covers slide outward and allow you to remove the power button panel. Then you will see the keyboard screws remove the key board and you will find the two screws that hold the HD in. Hope this helps

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.