Hard drive taking too long?... clueless

TS-56336

Hi, I'm a newbie here.

My PC's been taking too long to boot on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, either restarting or shutting down. At one point, it prompts to Checkdisk utility and found many errors on Indexes or something, but the system still boots on Windows nonetheless though takes long time as I've said. However, the problem still persists: Windows boot taking merely 5-6 minutes or so, went on Chkdsk again and found the same errors it has found the past few days; and it's very annoying. By the way, there were no BSoDs as far as I know.

It's also weird that it takes even more time shutting down than powering it on as if it won't shut the system off; it just shows the Logging off... ones but not the Shutting Down message. Also tried the Safe Mode and the boot duration also very long.

I tried also defragging the hard drive volume with errors in it but unfortunately it took so much of my time and just went against it. I knew that something was going on regarding this hard drive...

Lastly, whenever I open files in this volume (Video, apps, audio) it seemed to stutter especially video files with extensions of any kind.

There's only one HDD — Western Caviar Blue 300gb — installed but has two partitions (For Local Disk, and for a backup for my personal files).

Should I consider buying a new HDD or maybe there's another workaround I could do? Thank you.

Before you go and rush to buy a new hard drive. Try a fresh install of your OS.These issue you are having . Can also be due to your OS having corrupt files.

I would backup your personal files on something other than your installed hard drive. Backing up files on the same hard drive, even though on different partitions, is of limited value if the HDD itself goes bad. That said, I would suggest the same thing as Cobalt006 as he beat me to it. Save any files you don't want to lose and then reinstall the OS.

It still might be a good idea to get a second HDD to store backup files if reinstalling the OS on the 300gb drive fixes your problem. But first things first. See if the old HDD is okay.

Run CHKDSK c: /f /r
which will force repairs to be made.

You're getting into the loop because you do not see the Shutdown message which resets a 'dirty bit' on the partition.

run EVENTVWR.MSC
get into the system log and look for Errors

But u can also upgrade to SSD, which performs better and faster. People are saying that SSD will completely replace HDD in the near future. just clone the whole disk to new SSD after reinstall the system, using free easus disk copy.

Back