TechSpot

hard drive temperature

By Soap
Jan 10, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i have been using a program called HDD Health that apparently uses the smart which i have enabled on the drive and monitors the drive.

it says my drive gets up to 56 degrees celcius is this dangerous?

what are some ideas for a cheap cooling option? dont have much money to spend on this.
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

It depends on your setup. Certain cases has a slot for an intake fan that sits in front of the HDD cage, making it easy & cheap to cool your HDDs. If you do not have such a case, you could get a HDD cooler such as this one ->

1. Zalman NP(Noise Prevention)Heatpipe HDD Cooler

[​IMG]

$22.99 at NewEgg.
  3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

All most people need is a fan. Many nicer cases are designed with fans that are in front of the drive bays... Unfortunately, that isn't true for most people's cases.

Drives are mechanical and I imagine that any hot temperatures take a measurable toll on the longevety of your drive, but who knows what temperatures are acceptable nor not? Hmm.

I think 56*C is too hot. My drives run way cool, most due to my drives being nestled in front of two 90mm intake fans. If you have the space, then I recommend just adding additional fans.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.