Hard drives disappear from BIOS/XP after an hour

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very peculiar problem. I have an older system with as Asus P3BF motherboard (latest BIOS). I have four Seagate hard drives hooked up to it, master-slave with correct jumper settings, I already checked. Both drives on the Secondary IDE channel disappear from both DOS/BIOS/WindowsXP after a certain amount of time. Meaning, if I boot into Windows or into DOS (to run diagnostic tools for example), if I let it sit for too long, the drives will not be recognizable until I turn the computer off and let it sit for a moment and power back up. A simple reboot does not revive them. I done full scans on all drives and repairs any bad sectors, they now all PASS all tests with Seatools Seagate Diagnostic. I have been searching forums and not come across anything quite like this as of yet.

To sum up:

Clean power up - drives are seen by Bios, DOS and Windows
After an hour or so, drives will literally disappear from Windows Explorer and Disk Management. Or will no longer be accessible from DOS applications

It could also be a loose Secondary controller connection at the mobo. Those aren't the tightest fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back