Hardcore Mouse Jargon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiddler_the_Xth

Hey, could someone be so kind as to explain some of this gaming mouse speak to me?
DPI, APM, data paths, frame rate (frame rate on a mouse???), IPS, etc, etc.

Im looking into geting a new mouse. Currently have a Razer Viper. Not in production anymore. Use it mostly for WoW, CS:Source, GRAW, and Unreal 2004. Thanks!

Just ignore that marketing BS and ask what is a good mouse :)
90% of numbers quoted on hardware products are meaningless rubbish anyway.

BTW, what is wrong with your current mouse? Besides the fact that it's not in production any more? (/me goes to click "Post Quick Reply" with his 1993 serial mouse)

But if you inist..
DPI - dots per inch - tells you the accuracy of the mouse (2000 DPI - the mouse can read the surface at 2000 pixels per inch)
APM - actions per minute - tells you how many of you actions the mouse can process
data path - it is the "path" data takes inside a chip. Wider data path means more data can be processed simultaneously
frame rate - how many frames are processed in an amount of time. Maybe refers to the optical sensor?
IPS - inches per second - how fast movements the mouse can detect

Thanks a bunch.
My mouse has been skipping quite a bit lately when playing high-demand games. Everything else is up to speed, FPS stays at 60, sound is good, but the mouse will jump around the screen a bit.
Plus I just want to expand my knowledge of useless, manufacturer, corporate-bull**** :)

I'd say that a new mouse won't make the skipping go away.

It is something in your computer that can't handle the movement. Maybe just try with another mouse before going and buying something made of platinum and black pearls?

logitech makes a special gaming mouse that you can adjust the weight of it im not sure of the model numebr but i tihnk they only make one of those kind

The weight? as in make the physical weight of the mouse vary? INteresting. I've been having my eye on the Razer Copperhead. I'm a razer fan because of their sensitivty variance application. But Im in Korea right now, and I saw a 2500 DPI mouse. Ive never seen one before. Im tempted to go get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back