Harddrive Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Model: ST380020A

I've had this harddrive for about 3 years. A few days ago I was using my computer and suddenly I hear beeping from the mobo, the screen freezes, and I get the BSOD. I decide to restart. I can see and feel the harddrive begin to spin but stops shortly after(thankfully there were no clicking noises or anything to indicate that it was getting scratched),and the motherboard makes a long beep noise afterwards. It repeats this process about 3-5 times before the harddrive stops trying to spin and the mobo stops beeping. This happens every time I restart the computer. The harddrive is not detected in the bios, and I've tried connecting the harddrive to 2 different computers with different cables. Anyone know what's going on? I really hope I can recover the files.

If the hard drive won't spin up you've got a problem with either the PCB on the drive, or the drive motor. You could see if you can find a dead drive of the exact same model (ebay) and replace it, since there is reason to believe that the drive platters/read heads aren't messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back