Harddrive hell!!! any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi thankyou for looking.
just recently my pc died. not sure why it was old.
so i purchaced a new tower.(running xp home)
I want to get my music and photos off the old drive(running xp pro)
It is attached and works ok I belive.
But on my old system i had a password on my user account.
and i think this is whats stopping me access my files, as i can browse the HD no worries exept for my docs and settings in my user name.
I tried using it as a master but it would not boot up in the new tower.
Im sure there is a easy way round this. i just cant get my head round it!!
any help would be appreicated. thankyou

Take out the hard drive and set it up as a secondary in your new system either primary slave or secondary master. You can set the jumper (if it's not SATA) to Cable Select.

it is installed on cable select at the mo .can acess it, but still cannot access my docs. access denied aslo says folder is empty. but i know its not!

Create a bartPE disk and it will allow you to acess the contents of your hard drive without booting into windows. you can then either burn the data onto a cd or DVD if your system has a burner. or you can transf the data to a USB device. ( just make sure the device is plugged in before booting the BartPE disk.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

ok i have the bartpe programe and its beyond me. cant find instalation files for drive G the one i want to acsess. i have the cd but dont understand. how that helps? followed the directions prehaps im just not getting it sorry!!

the pc and system im using is not the one i want to access. its my my old drive im using as a slave now. it has a diffrent version of windows xp

it doesnt matter what version of XP it is with BARTPE. you boot with the BARTPE disk in the drive and once BartPE loads you can use the Explorer XP program to examine the drive you want to retrieve data from.

think my confusion is making the bartpe disk? will work on it.
when i make the disk will i need to go to bios to tell it to boot from the bartpe disk? thanks for ur help mate feel well lost at the mo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back