Harddrive installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before taking the drastic step of reinstalling windows, try to boot to your XP cd, and enter the RECOVERY CONSOLE. When you reach the c:\ Prompt, type in CHKDSK. After that finishes, restart your pc and see if it works for you.

i've tried the recovery console and also to reinstall windows, but as soon as i press enter or r to recovery, it says i have no hard drives to install on and then it tells me to quit.

The fact that the Windows cd isn`t finding any hard drives on your system aint a good sign.

Does your hard drive show up in the bios?

From what you`ve said so far and it aint much, I`d guess you either have a faulty IDE cable or a dead hard drive. Replace the cable and see if that helps. If it doesn`t, it looks like you`re going to need a new hard drive.

It`d really help if you gave us some details. What BSOD message are you getting? When did it first happen? What kind of hard drive do your have? What were you doing immediately before the problem occurred? Anything else you can tell us may that may help.

Regards Howard :)

the thing is yes it does, the hard drives do appear on my bios. The BSOD disappears and appears sometimes, it's very random. what i was doing was installing drivers for chipsets, something may have gone wrong i believe.

Well do you need any special drivers to install windows. If you Bios detects them, you should be fine, but you might require aditional drivers for your controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back