TechSpot

harddrive is "sometiming"

By n3tw0rk t3ch
Nov 17, 2004
  1. i have a 40 gig western digital hard drive that does what i like to call "sometimin'" as in some times it works and sometimes it dont. i read somewhere that i could freeze the disk and this might fix the issue but i am unsure how to proceed. i have replaced the hard drive but i want to try to salvage this one and get the data off. i have a lot of music and games i purchased. BIOS is able to see the drive but windows is unable to read it even though it sometimes sees it. any suggestions would be great

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

3. n3tw0rk t3ch

n3tw0rk t3ch TS Rookie Topic Starter

frat info butt...

if when i try to boot from that drive, i get the windows splash screen. it just hangs there. it does make an awful noise. do you think this could be symptomatic of the problem discussed in the link you sent?

4. howard_hopkinso

Can you boot into safe mode?

Regards Howard :grinthumb

5. n3tw0rk t3ch

nope

no i cannot

6. howard_hopkinso

7. n3tw0rk t3ch

already tried that

that is a great thing to try because it has save my butt a few times on other systems but this is definately a hardware issue. i tried that figuring that because the drive was running winME but i got bupkas. it said i did not have a drive to be able to complee the installation. i was upgrading to XPpro .i am just trying to confirm my suspisions before i freeze the drive :grinthumb

8. howard_hopkinso

Is there any way you could try your hdd in another system just to make sure?

I must admit that it is sounding ominous for your hdd.

Hope you find a solution soon when you do please post back as I would be very interested.

Regards and good luck Howard :grinthumb

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.