TechSpot

Harddrive Not Detected During Installation

By boot strap load
Feb 7, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When I try installing FC3 on my computer it works until it says that it can't detect my hardrive. It tells me to select a device and when I do and go on to partitioning the hardrive it would say that it could not detect the hardrive and to check my hardware.To be more precise,the error message is this "An error has occured-no valid devices were found on which to create new file systems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem" .
    I have intel915 64 bit motherboard,SATA 80gb harddrive,2.8Ghz processor,512MB RAM.I left 8GB space for linux.In the rest space i'm currently running window xp service pack 2 and it does run properly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

The FC3 install kernel doesn't support your SATA controller. If you insist on using FC3 then you may be able to create some driver floppy or an install image with a newer kernel.. I'd recommend FC4 or some other newer distro instead.
  3. boot strap load

boot strap load TS Rookie Topic Starter

hey i tried to install suse 9.3,ubuntu.But the same problem persists there too..
    ok,i'd try FC4 also as u say..

neways,thanks for ur concern.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.