Harddrive + processor speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

infamous

does it really matter how fast ur comp is to get a HUGE HD? or is there no limit how big your HD(s) are with ur comp speed?

it doesn't matter as to the speed, the wall you run into is with what the BIOS will recognise. Tell us the mainboard model of the machine and we can tell you its limit and whether you might need a BIOS flash in order to reach that limit.

I don't think you have to worry about HDD size being too large for a while. I thought you might have an old board with 8GB barrier or something.

Go pop a 250GBer in that baby :D Or better yet, you could put FOUR/4 250GBs in there, to get a whole 1 Terabyte of space :D Now thats braging rights.

No, I think the speed matters. It's the slowest part and the performance of your drive will make a huge difference, on the contrary.

But the difference is ony noticeable from say.. upgrading from 20GB to 200GB for example. Or 40 GB to 250GB.

Currently, top performers are 200GB +. 160GB drives are not too far behind.

Speed is also determined by platter size, so naturally larger drives tend to have larger platters.

Rick, his initial question appeared to be about a limit to how big a drive you could use in relation to speed of the CPU, which there is none. If he'd asked about performance I'd have answered accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back