HardDrives, not enuff space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infamous

Hi, it's me again, the computer-handicaped lol. Well, i jsut bought another harddrive, installed it, everything is swell. So why did i come here u ask? Well something jsut hit my mind. Wut if u want another harddrive? thus totaling to 3? When i installed, i noticed that there are only 2 slots in the mobo for that rectangular cable thingys. They go to my cd drives, cd-rws, harddrives, floppy drive, etc. So, there are no more spots. Usually on one rectanuglar cable thingy, there are 3 palces in which you can hook it up to. One end goes into the mobo, the other 2, 2 drives of your choice. But for me, at the moment, there is no more space for expansion? there are no open hook up thingys, all of them are used. If i were to install another harddrive, wut would i have to do?

You would buy a seperate hard drive controller card (cheap), a raid card (more expensive but cooler), or...

...you would get a better motherboard. The more expensive boards have more controllers and often have onboard raid.

My machines have....

Linux box - 2 hard drives.

Main machine - 2 system drives plus 2 drives in raid 1 mirror config

multimedia machine - 2 system plus 3 raid 0 stripe

I am planning a machine that may even have 8 hard drives. seriously. parts will be raid 1 and, some normal, some raid 0. but I am thinking even of raid 5.

You simply buy a IDE Card that goes into a PCI slot, and that as more "little connector thingys", so you can hook up more hard drives :)

ahhh nice! ty for the reply guys! btw how much does a IDE card that fits into a PCI slot cost? and the hard drive controller card?

less than $10 for a PCI IDE controller card (thats what they will be called likely)

If you can't find them for less than $10 before shipping I will personally sell you one that I have (ATA133 even) for $10 + the cost to ship to wherever you live, but I think you can find them for CHEAP.

I thought they were like $100, wow.. only $10? I guess I was looking at a raid one..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back